It’s Tuesday night. All major proteins are solid as a rock in the freezer and I rummage through the fridge…Huzzah! I remember my mom making ham and pea pasta for my two brothers when I was little. They ate everything in sight and this was probably something she made them before dinner was served. They were growing boys. The point is, this is super fast and easy to whip up.
You begin with a white sauce. I will not scare you by calling it a béchamel, but it really is. Keep reading. A quick melt of butter, whisk in equal parts flour and finish with a cup of milk. Stir in some fine cheese and you have a perfect base to coat pasta or veggies. I also like to add in a couple of swipes of fresh nutmeg using my microplane.
Definitely seek out a chunk of Beecher’s Flagship the next time you’re at Costco. Having a hearty wedge like this is invaluable for weeknight dinners. Grilled cheese, especially.
Recipe: Easy Ham and Pea Pasta with Beecher’s Cheese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoon of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- swipe of nutmeg
- 1 cup of Beechers Flagship Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of peas
- 6-10 thick slices of black forest ham, cut into cubes
- 3/4 lb fusilli pasta, cooked
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Whisk in flour until it gets a little nutty color to it
- Slowly pour the milk into the pan, whisking feverishly so that no lumps of flour remain. Continue until all the milk is gone
- Turn the heat to low, add in the Beechers Cheese and stir to combine
- Taste for seasoning and add in kosher salt, ground pepper and nutmeg
- Add the ham, peas and pasta
You may wish to reserve some pasta water to thin out the cheese sauce if you find it comes out too thick once everything is combined.